Monday, February 4, 2013

Easy As (Pecan) Pie

Stickler though I have proven myself to be for keeping food in its appropriate season, for my Mama I will make any exception in the world. If she wants king cake in June, or pralines for Easter, then darnit I say "how high?"  So I have not batted an eyelash at her request, for her mid-January birthday, for a pecan pie (in my mind traditionally reserved for Thanksgiving and Christmas).

The pie crust of choice in my family is from a recipe my mom gave me when we started hunting up ways to replace the gluten foods so much of my family have foregone. Instead of wheat flour, you combine coconut flour and pecan flour, and mix with some wet ingredients to produce a yummy, nutty crust that actually holds together just like pie dough once it's baked. It's especially suited for cheesecake bases and the crust on Bonnie's Blueberry Delight (recipe to come soon), but I've used it successfully on a number of custardy tarts.


The pie itself is simple, easy, and low-mess--perfect for something you want whipped up for after a weeknight supper or a Sunday afternoon. It's an old staple of my Grandmama's, originally intended for coconut, but graciously accommodating to pecans as well. Much like Grandmama herself.

French Coconut Pie. Add Pecans. Hold the Coconut.
Ingredients:
3 eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup pecan good quality pecan halves
1 cup sugar
1 T white vinegar
1 t vanilla extract
 
     Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Combine all ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
 
Pour into uncooked pie crust.
 Bake for 45 minutes, until pie is set.
That's it, you're done! Easiest. Pie. Ever.
And so yummy!






Thanks for stopping by! Hope to see y'all soon!
    


No comments:

Post a Comment